The Hiram Bingham expedition
The story of the century; in the year 1912 a North American explorer from Yale University, financed by National Geographic set out to follow the route of the liberator Bolivar. When he reached Peru he had the magnificent idea to find among the mountains a hidden city of the Incas: a city built of pure gold and full of riches, that had never been found before, not even by the Spanish. His eagerness to find the magnificent discovery led this expedition at the beginning of the 20th Century deep in the jungle regions of Cusco, Peru. Bingham reported in his journals that the place was indeed imposing, giant obstacles and confusion hindered his exploring, the cost and difficulty of the journey were hindering Bingham’s ability to continue the route made by Bolivar. But an 8-year-old boy named Pablito Riccharte saw the explorer lost in the jungle and told him about a place he and his friends played at every week. The explorer was excited and waited for the boy to show him the way, climbing up a short track to the top of a mountain, he looked beyond and found the great hidden city now known as Machu Picchu. A grand city lost that caught the imagination of the explorers and how it was built. Due to the immensity of his discovery, in honour of Bingham, Peru Rail honor the great explorer by naming their luxury train Hiram Bingham; the most luxurious train in Peru.
The most luxurious Train in Peru
A visit to Peru is a unique and unforgettable experience, you can have an adventure in the Valleys or in the mountains. The trails, the immortal Andes, the heat of the coast, the thickness of the jungle, the smell of nature and the cultural diversity of Peru, make for a grand experience of man and nature. Seeing one of the Seven Wonders of the World is something most people dream of. So if you decide to make the trip to Peru and experience the marvel yourself, then why not do it in the utmost style and comfort? The are many ways to arrive at this marvellous place, but if you want an unforgettable experience, the luxury train Hiram Bingham is without a doubt the best option. An exclusive train, unique and unmatched, considered one the 5 best experiences of the continent, with special services that give you the complete experience. The Hiram Bingham train offers you an unmatched experience for 4 hours that you will never forget.
- The train was inspired by the elegant Pullman wagons of the 20th Century, the carriage seats are covered with fine material and filled with the style of wood from the same time. There are 3 wagons for the comfort of 42 passengers. The first wagon is the dining car, decorated in the same 20th Century style, with comfortable tables and chairs which duplicate the elegant style. The next car is the Bar wagon designed with a large sofa for 15 people and a fully decked out bar. The next is the wagon with the Mirador where you will spend most of your time enjoying the freshest and purest air on the planet, viewing nature that you thought you would only see in your dreams.
The Luxury Train Hiram Bingham Itinerary
- The hour the Hiram Bingham train leaves is different to other trains, it leaves from the district of Cusco, Poroy, 20 minutes from Cusco at 00 am. When you arrive into the VIP waiting room of Peru Rail, you will be entertained with dancers and music from different parts of Peru to help you pass the morning. You will start your journey in the dining car where you will be offered a pre-lunch menu with gourmet Peruvian cuisine and a drink like a Pisco Sour or Wine that are at your disposal for the entirety of the 4-hour journey to Machu Picchu.
- Later around 30am you will be invited to pass to the bar to enjoy the delicious cocktails and more delicious food or if you prefer, you might want to try a cerveza Cuzqueña-the local beer-to get you ready for your day of adventure.
- At 12 pm you will be entertained by musicians from 3 different districts in the Mirador wagon, they will entertain you until you reach Aguas Calientes at 12.30 pm.
Machu Picchu with Belmond
- During your journey or when you arrive at Machu Picchu you will receive a special gift from Hiram Bingham Train Peru, the gift will be an elegant bag with the original stamp of the train, so you can carry your belongings with elegance and you will be able to have a piece of your journey with you forever.
- But this is not the only gift you will receive from this unforgettable train journey to Machu Picchu, the company Peru Rail Belmond Hiram Bingham gives all of its passengers the entrance tickets to the Inca City as well as the bus tickets to and from the ruins.
- You will also receive a 2-hour tour of the Inca city by a specialist guide who will explain to you about the history, energies, nature and spirit of Machu Picchu. Later, you will take the bus back down to Aguas Calientes and have tea in the afternoon at the Hotel Belmond Sanctuary Lodge.
The cost of the Hiram Bingham train per person return is US$795.00, an offer that you need to take advantage of.